Monday, March 26, 2012

Mac & Cheeze Pleaze!

I've been searching a yummy mac and cheese recipe since becoming plant-based.  I have tired a few and they are okay, but I was looking for something a little more.  


Last year in my non plant-based days I made a smoked four-cheese risotto that was amazingly delicious.  I missed that, I can remember how yummy that tasted.  I was reading a cooking magazine the other day and it had a recipe for a risotto made with pasta, ditalini to be exact.  Ditalini are the small little tube pasta.  I think this would work with any small pastas.  


The smoky and cheesy flavor hits the nail on the head of what I had the night a year ago.  


Smoky Mac & Cheeze, risotto style


2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 cup ditalini pasta
1 cup beer (I like a brown or amber ale)
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp liquid smoke
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
dash of black pepper
1/3 cup nutritional yeast (see below to find out what the heck this is)


In a small sauce pan heat up vegetable broth.


In a larger sauce pan, spray some cooking spray and add garlic cloves and onions.  Cook for a few minutes until onions start to become translucent.  Add in pasta and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring often.  Add in beer.  Continue to stir until most of the beer is absorbed by the pasta.  Continue to add a little of the broth (about 1/4 cup) to the pasta and when it is absorbed, add more until the pasta is cooked and has a creamy consistency.  


Add in the remaining ingredients (onion powder, paprika, turmeric, liquid smoke, garlic powder, salt, pepper, & nutritional yeast).  Mix throughly and serve.  I like to add some greens to mine (broccoli, peas, spinach, it all works!).




What the heck is nutritional yeast anyway?


According to wikipedia, nutritional yeast is a deactivated yeast which has a slightly nutty, cheesy flavor to it.  It is a source of many nutrients including protein and vitamin b-12.  It can be found in health food stores and on the internet.  


It might be referenced as "nooch" in vegan/vegetarian conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment