Monday, September 3, 2012

Stumbling Into Fall

Happy Labor Day!  I can't believe I haven't blogged anything here in over 4 months.  Things have been pretty hectic around here.  We got engaged at the end of June and have been trying to plan a wedding in 5 months, which is totally doable, but still crazy.  Also, I've been struggling with some health issues.  Back in March I started getting constant headaches, which was a big deal for me as I never really got those in the past.  After many trips to the doctor and many co-pays, turns out I have migraines triggered by a damaged nerve in the back of my head.  I've been on medicine which is helping, but it has made me have no appetite, therefore my desire to cook and create new recipes has completely gone away.  Anyway,  I decided that I still have to eat, and well so does Dan, so I am going to try and post some new recipes and photos of the food that we make.  

I know that it's only Labor Day and summer is still here, but I love Fall and always have.  I can't wait for it to come.  The colors, the smells, and the foods are all my favorites.  I'm working to force fall here as quickly as possible.  I was wanting some mushroom soup the other day, so made up this recipe for a rich, creamy, yet healthy and plant based soup.  It's so easy to make, you'll never by the canned stuff again.  I can see using this in Thanksgiving green bean casserole...hmmm...who needs to wait for Thanksgiving???  Hopefully you'll join me in welcoming Fall, perhaps more gracefully then I do.















Creamy Mushroom Soup
1 yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups mushrooms, sliced (i used a mix of crimini and button but use whatever you have on hand)
1/4 cup white wine or champagne
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon rosemary
1 package mori-nu silken tofu
1 cup vegetable broth
salt and pepper to taste

In a saute pan with a small amount of cooking spray of vegetable broth, add onions and garlic and cook until onions are translucent.  Add mushrooms, salt, pepper and rosemary and cook until mushrooms are tender.  Deglaze pan with wine and cook for another 3-5 minutes.  Allow mixture to cool for 10 minutes or so.  In a blender or food processor, add mixture, tofu, and broth and blend until smooth.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Garnish with green onions.  

Enjoy!  I also topped mine with Sriracha for a little added spice!

For those of you who want to keep summer around, this soup is actually really good served chilled as well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment