Sunday, March 25, 2012

Chili For When It Gets Chilly


Well it seems like winter finally decided to arrive over the past few days.  A little dusting of snow on the ground and the feeling of not wanting to get out of my warm bed signals one thing to me…Chili season! 

For years as a child I would turn my nose up to the bowl of chili placed in front of me.  Perhaps it was the beans that terrified me so much but slowly I began to eat some chili.  The first time I had to be tricked into it.  Babs put a big heaping pile of spaghetti and topped it with some chili, called it spaghetti and I gobbled it up.  As the years progressed, the amount of spaghetti I needed with that chili decreased until finally came the day for me to eat it without.  

Today the only thing better on a cold day then a warm bowl of chili is the smell of it cooking in your house.  Recently I have forgone the ground beef and handful of cheese on top for something vegan, but the feeling you get when eating it is just the same, you won’t even miss the meat.  I promise.

This recipe is so easy, if you can open a bunch of cans, you can make this chili.  I have a few notes at the bottom to make this even easier!  Feel free to change up the beans that are here, I typically use whatever I have on hand, white beans, pinto beans, black beans, kidney beans. (Note: rinsing the beans really well helps to decrease their "magical" qualities).  

And if you are like the 10 year old Jody and need to have something to put the chili on top of, try 1/2 cup of cooked quinoa, brown rice, or whole wheat noodles.



Chili
1 medium yellow onion – roughly chopped
2 bell peppers (any color)– chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 15 oz can whole kernel corn or 1 cup frozen corn
2 15 oz cans beans of your liking (drained and rinsed)
1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
1 tbsp ground cumin
2 tbsp chili powder
¼ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
Salt & Pepper to taste

In a large stock pan on medium heat, add some non-stick cooking spray, garlic, onions and bell peppers.  Sauté until the onions are translucent.  Add to pot, the remaining ingredients (corn, beans, tomato sauce, tomatoes, and spices).  Stir all together, put the pot on low, cover it and forget about it for 30 minutes.  Taste for seasonings; add salt, pepper, or additional spice if you like it spicier.  That’s it!  The chili will store in the fridge for about a week, perfect to pack up for lunches or a quick weeknight dinner.  I like to serve with a few baked corn tortilla chips for a nice added crunch, some sliced avocado and chopped green onions on top!



Make it simple: If you have Trader Joe’s* nearby here is a good way to get this done in a shorter amount of time.  In place of the onions and bell peppers they sell a frozen bag of fire roasted onions and peppers that will work just fine.  They are already cooked, so just add them to the pan with the cooking spray and garlic (look for the frozen pre-minced garlic to save your fingers from smelling!) and all you need to do is open some cans and you are set! 
*They may sell the frozen onions & peppers elsewhere, check your grocery frozen vegetables section. 

No comments:

Post a Comment