Sunday, March 25, 2012

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Vegan Christmas





For as long as I can remember I have baked cutout cookies for Christmas. It started as something we would do with my mom and as I got older I took over the reigns (with the help of my younger sister who would decorate 2 cookies and then get bored). I do this not because I love sugar cookies(I don't really) but because I love decorating them while Christmas music is playing in the background. No better way to get in the christmas  spirit.  So each year I dust off the old Kitchen Aid and spend a day baking and decorating.

So this year is no different, vegan or not I was going to make those cookies. I found a recipe online and surprisingly it is good. There are no weird 'vegan' ingredients here, I didn't try and sneak some tofu in there :). Still chalk full of sugar, flour and vegan butter.  This just goes to show that not all vegan food is good for you. But once a year is just fine.

Also since there are no eggs your mom can't yell at you for licking the spoon or eating the dough!

Thanks to Betty Crocker for this yummy recipe!  I made a few changes to the ingredients so below is what I made.  

Vegan Sugar Cookies:

Cookies:
1 ½ cups powdered sugar
1 cup vegan margarine, softened (I used Earth Balance)
¼ cup vanilla almond milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar

Icing:
4 cups powdered sugar
4 tbsp vanilla almond milk
½ tsp vanilla extract


In large bowl, beat 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, the margarine, 1/4 cup almond milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla with electric mixer on medium speed to combine. 



Stir in flour, cornstarch, baking soda and cream of tartar until blended. Place the dough on a piece of wax paper and wrap up in a little dough burrito.  Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.



Heat oven to 375° F. Lightly grease cookie sheet with shortening or cooking spray. Divide dough in half. Roll each dough half to1/4 inch thickness on generously floured surface. Cut into desired shapes with 2- to 2 1/2-inch cookie cutters. On cookie sheet, place cutouts about 2 inches apart.


Bake 7 to 8 minutes or until edges are light brown. Remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack.



In large mixing bowl, beat icing ingredients with fork or whisk until smooth. If icing is too thick, beat in 1 additional teaspoon almond milk.  Color icing with food coloring gel if desired. Frost cookies. Sprinkle with colored sugar if desired.

Enjoy with a glass of almond milk while you wait for Santa Claus to come down the chimney...even he wouldn't know they were made vegan!


No comments:

Post a Comment