Sunday, March 25, 2012

Desperate Times Lead To Delicious Treasures


One of my favorite things lately has been these baked blue corn tortilla chips from Trader Joe's.  I have been eating them with salsa, guacamole, hummus, you name I dipped these in it.  Well on a trip there yesterday they were out of them.  How will I ever survive a week without them?   Well as I pondered this in my kitchen staring into the fridge something caught my eye, a pack of corn tortillas I had purchased last week and remained unused.  Queue the lightbulb above my head.  

I set out to make a baked corn tortilla chips with as little or no oil as I could.  Well turns out you need none.  These turned out crispy and yummy.  Just wish I had made a double batch, soon as Dan found them they were gone....guess they were pretty good as he is a self proclaimed tortilla chip expert.  Just ask him about his life long quest to find the best nachos. 



Low Fat Baked Chili Lime Tortilla Chips
12 corn tortillas
2 limes
salt to taste (about 5 grinds of the salt grinder)
chili powder to taste (optional)
non-stick cooking spray


Pre heat over to 400 degrees

Cut tortillas into 8 triangular pieces (or whatever shapes you may fancy)
Place on a cookie sheet and lightly spray with non-stick spray (I had to do mine in 2 batches).  Take 1 lime each batch and juice over the tortillas, add salt and chili powder and mix all together.  



Place in the over for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown and crispy, shaking the pan and turning the pieces once in a while.  
Place on a cooling rack to cool and if they are still around enjoy with your favorite salsa or the super easy crowd pleasing guacamole recipe below!



This is my go-to guacamole recipe.  I bring this to parties or just make at home to be selfish and enjoy all by myself :)  It is always a crowd pleaser.
Guacamole
3 ripe avocados (should have a little give when you gently squeeze it)
1 lime
1 clove garlic - minced
1 tomato - finely diced
1/2 cup onion (red, yellow, green whatever you like) - finely chopped
1 tsp salt
pinch of cayenne pepper

Cut avocados in half, remove the pit and set aside one pit to add to the guac later.  Scoop out the avocado from it's skin and place in a bowl.  Squeeze the lime juice into the bowl and add the garlic.  Mash until smooth with just a little bit of chunk in there.  Stir in tomatoes, onions, salt & cayenne.  Add the pit back in to keep the guacamole green longer (I don't know how it works but it certainly does).  

No comments:

Post a Comment